Organization: APA Ontario District Branch
CME Accreditation: This event is an accredited group learning activity (section 1) as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, and approved by the Canadian Psychiatric Association (CPA). The specific opin
Topic: Physician Assisted Suicide and Euthanasia of Non-Terminal Psychiatric Patients: An Emerging Ethical Crisis
Speaker: Dr. Mark Komrad, MD, DABPN, DFAPA
- Review the history of physician assisted suicide and euthanasia, and it’s gradual evolution from being used for the terminally ill to the non-terminally ill, and from the physically suffering (only) to the mentally suffering (only).
- Learn about legal assisted-suicide and euthanasia of non-terminal psychiatric patients that has been occurring in The Netherlands and Belgium, and is impending in Canada.
- Understand the ethical arguments that have been deployed to support this practice, and the ethical arguments against it.
- Clarify the essential ethos and core values of what it means to be a psychiatrist and practice psychiatry.
- Appreciate the likelihood of this practice being legalized in the U.S. under the banner of “parity” and prepare for how to handle that with patients.
RSVP: Please register for this event now for (a) Business Meeting and/or (b) CME Presentation at odbapa.org or by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions, please contact Colleen Gambier at: email@example.com.